Download this Podcast
Barnaby Fitzpatrick, Second Baron of Upper Ossory, kept his "tame stud" at this site circa 1570. The weekly market held in the walled orchard adjoining the Abbey was formally established during the reign of Henry VIII. It probably existed much earlier as an Irish institution.
The buildings comprise three distinctive dwelling buildings and numerous outbuildings.
The 12 acre site sits on a hill above the Abbey with a distant view of the Sliabh Bladhma (Slieve Bloom) Mountains. Irish mythology holds that these Mountains were the winter training grounds of Finn McCool.
The adjoining field behind the Abbey contains the "Aghaboe Motte". This Norman era mound was the site of a hastily constructed fortification which was part of the Anglo-Norman attempt to sub-infeudate Aghaboe. This attempt was never successful and was terminated in 1349 by the MicGiollaPhadraig (Fitzpatricks).
The ancient village of Aghaboe (Acadh Bho) or Field of the Cow will shortly be linked with the greater Dublin Area by the M7 Motorway which will pass within two miles of the Estate. This combined with the expanding schedule to Ballybrophy Railway Station which is several miles from the property.